Don’t be a quitter, here is how….
We all know we should set goals. We hear this all the time!
SMART goals are the standard. Maybe you have heard of them?
- Set your primary SMART goal.
- List all the things(Steps) you need to do with your time to get to that goal
- Pick one of those things to start today.
- Set a goal for that one thing.
- When that step goal is complete, you are ready to move on to the next.
- Do this with all of your steps.
Here is an example.
SMART goal: I want to be going to the XYZ gym three times a week by February 4th, 2020.
Stepping stone goals:
- Set a weekly schedule for next week today. Put gym time on my calendar. This is an appointment. Like a job interview. I don’t miss job interviews.
- One gym visit this on Friday at 3:30 pm. I will leave work at 3:00 pm. I will pack my gym clothes and put the bag in my car Thursday night.
- Two gym visits next week on Tuesday at 3:30 pm and Thursday at 3:30 pm.
- Three gym visits per week starting January 20th. I will attend Tuesday and Thursdays at 3:30 pm, and Friday at 9:00 am. I will put these days in my calendar as appointments. I don’t miss appointments.
- If I miss a day due to illness, I will restart the appointments as soon as I am well. Missing a day does not cancel out the goal.
The specifics are different for everyone. When we work one on one with people, we will get more granular to individual issues and life choices that affect each person’s goals. By adding the stepping stone goals, we have found that success was much more likely for the majority of people.
Give this a try! Let us know how it goes!